Did you know that less than 25% of the transportation workforce is female? And of this 25% less than 5% are in a CEO position?
With mostly men holding the decision-making positions in shared mobility, it unfortunately means that our transportation system has an inherent design bias. Women rely on public transport more than men, yet in many cases services are not built to accommodate their more complex travel patterns (often known as ‘trip chaining’). Women’s mobility needs and patterns are diverse and change depending on their age, socio-economic status and care-giving roles; yet this important data is almost always omitted from data collection.
In order to bridge the gender gap and to create a more balanced and equitable transportation ecosystem, we need more women making decisions at the table. That is why we are looking for women entrepreneurs that are tackling the transportation problems of tomorrow for our EmpowerWISM 2023 Program.
If you want to learn more about the EmpowerWISM 2023 Program, keep reading. Watch last year’s Empower Women in Shared Mobility award ceremony here.
Empower Women in Shared Mobility 2023 Pitch
What is the Empower women in Shared Mobility Pitch?
movmi has been hosting the Women in Shared Mobility interview series for the past 7 years to amplify the voices of female industry leaders that work in transportation and specifically within shared mobility. In 2019 we launched our first ever Empower Women in Shared Mobility program in an effort to take this one step further – to promote and empower one women-led mobility venture for 12 months across the many avenues available to us.
This year we are extending our EmpowerWISM program! If you are a young company (<5 years) that have at least one woman co-founder or executive (cis or trans women, non-binary, gender-fluid or gender non-conforming people) and offers a product or service that falls within the shared mobility industry, please apply for the 2023 Empower Women in Shared Mobility Pitch here.
We will be showcasing the top 3 companies and the winner will receive a 12 month mentoring package, access to the entire EmpowerWISM network (partners, judges and movmi) and will be invited to different opportunities to showcase their work!
What will you win?
The winner will receive a prize package that includes:
- Entrance to 1 or 2 international conferences
- Guest spot on the My Smart Community podcast
- Guest spot on Byte Size podcast
- Magazine Interview with ITS International
- 10 hour consultancy package with Boris Pilichowski where you can focus on:
- Building a sound business plan
- How to approach capital markets and investors
- How to scale an appropriate team to fit the plan
- 1 year support from movmi (up to 30 hours) where we will help with the following
- Building and help the implementation of a Growth Strategy that is sustainable
- How do use content and story telling as part of Growth and using movmi’s network to amplify your story
- Define a partnership strategy that ties into the Growth Strategy and get introduced to movmi’s network
- Defining Success for the Growth Strategy finding the North Star Metric
We’re still in process of negotiating further sponsorship for the EmpowerWISM 2023 edition, so the prize package will increase in the coming weeks! Stay tuned for updates on our social media channels: LinkedIn and Twitter.
The program is free and we will be accepting applications from now until December 20th, 2022.
How are companies evaluated and selected?
To qualify for the program your company must:
- Provide a product, service or technology usable for personal mobility/transportation (can be in shared mobility, but doesn’t have to be)
- Have at minimum 1 female Co-Founder and C-level executive(cis or trans women, non-binary, gender-fluid or gender non-conforming people). Additional points are given for more female representation.
- Be less than 5 years old
The application is short. It will take you 15 minutes to complete plus we ask for a one minute long elevator video pitch. A global panel of judges will evaluate the entries, select the top 5 and award the winner.
What’s the timeline for the program?
Applications can be submitted between November 15th 2022 and December 20th, 2022. We will announce the name of the judges at the beginning of December and they will evaluate and judge the entries between December 20th and mid January. At that time, we will announce the top 5 finalist who will then be contacted for a 15 minute presentation. The top 3 companies will get a chance to showcase their solution during the award ceremony at the end of January 2023. Which is also when the winning company will be announced.
Apply for the Empower Women in Shared Mobility Pitch, 2022 here
Big thank you to our EmpowerWISM partners!
If you have any questions about the ‘Empower Women in Shared Mobility’ program or want to be involved, get in touch with us here. Please feel free to share this article with your network and potential candidates.