Goiânia is the capital and largest city of the Brazilian state of Goiás. With a population of 1.296 million it is the second-largest city in the Central-West Region and its metropolitan area is the 11th-largest in Brazil. It has a continuous geography with few hills and lowlands, with flat lands in most of its territory.
The city of Goiânia offers a multitude of mobility options including shared mobility services such as ridehail and integrated mobility platforms like the RMTC. Recently the city integrated the CityBus 2.0 with the RMTC via the use of the Transporte Fácil Card. This means, that “in addition to cash and credit cards, CityBus 2.0 customers can now choose to pay using the Fácil Sit pass Card, the same one accepted on Rede buses Metropolitana de Transporte Colectivo (RMTC).”
In this article DigitalForest explores the shared mobility options available in both Goiânia and across Brazil. They also dive into how integrated mobility operates within the region and the types of mobility payment solutions available across Brazil.
To read our 2019 ‘Mobility by Region’ series articles, click here.
Mobility around the world: brazil (2020 update)
Mobility in BRAZIL
The number of vehicles has increased by 88% in the last 10 years in Goiás. While the population growth in the State between 2009 and 2019 was 18.43%, the rise in number of vehicles was almost 5 times more. In Goiânia, on average there are 0.8 vehicles per inhabitant. There were more than 4 million vehicles in 2019.
The number of motorcycles registered saw the biggest increase in the capital between 2009 and 2019, however cars still remain as the majority vehicle in Goiânia. The capital is the first among five cities in Goiás that has the highest proportion of cars per inhabitant. In addition, to more vehicles, in general, the entire state also saw an increase in the age of the vehicle fleet.
Moovit surveyed the average time spent commuting to work and back home throughout major cities across 24 countries. In Brazilian cities, listed in 2019, Goiânia is the one with the longest commute. Including the time to go to and from work, on average, 98 minutes are spent daily on public transportation. The city has many different mobility options that are available to the public and they include…
SiM – Metropolitan Information Service
The city has had SiM since 2009. SiM allows the user to access, consult and have relevant operational information (frequencies and travel schedules, itineraries/routes etc) through several channels of information that are availability in both real-time and not in real-time:
- SiM RMTC (official application);
- Routing planner (Google Maps);
- I-Center (multimedia information kiosk);
- WAP (Mobile travel times);
- Point of Sale Displays (Terminals);
- Audio on buses and terminals;
- Signs at terminals;
- Lines and network maps;
“One app, many transportation options”
Quicko is a mobility data integrator and not a mobility operator. It is 100% user focused. They offer several real-time routing and connecting mobility options. In São Paulo it combines the subway lines or CPTM trains, with real-time bus, taxi or bikes to discover the best way to plan routes.
- Quicko offers CHEAPEST or FASTEST routing options
- It’s available options inlcude Uber, 99 and Bike Itaú – forwarding to the app to unlock
- It operates in São Paulo, and is expanding to Rio and Belo Horizonte but it is not available in Goiânia.
“Explore and navigate your world”
Provides maps and routes to several cities in Brazil and in the world. Google maps;
- Allows you to plan routes on different days and times
- Features car, public transport, walking, ride hailing options and biking separately and features integrated ride hailing with public transportation.
- Features Uber and 99 – forwarding each call to the app
- Provides information on the capacity of the subways, trains and buses in more than 200 cities around the world.
- Real-time bus traffic already available in São Paulo and will be available in Salvador, Recife and Brasilia.
services available in Goiânia
“Simplifies urban mobility around the world”
Moovit is the leader in MaaS solutions and most popular urban mobility app in the world. Present in more than 50 cities worldwide including Brazil. Moovit’s tools reduce congestion, increase the number of passengers and increase efficiency, making more people use public transportation and shared mobility.
- allows different search filters: faster, walk less, less exchanges.
- allows routes planning on different days and times other than now.
- offers different transportation options, but in São Paulo, does not integrate ride hailing with public transport. It is not available in Goiânia.
“We make life easier for many people through technology. We offer different solutions for mobility challenges in everyday life: customers, and partners.”
Picap mototaxi was launched in Goiânia and the Metropolitan Region in Feb 2020. The travel costs start at $5 reais, an alternative 30% cheaper and 50% faster compared to other mobility options. They also have a courier service.
“The expectation is that Goiânia may be one of the top 5 Brazilian cities until the middle of the year.” says Diogo Travassos, Picap CEO. Picap started in Colombia and in Brazil, there are 250 thousand users and 13 thousand active motorcyclists. The company intends to invest around $5 million reais in the country his year. Besides Goiânia, the company operates in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Recife, Fortaleza, Teresina, Manaus and Salvador. In the first 6 months of operation the drivers got 100% of the trip profit.
“Cheaper for those who walk. Profitable for those who drive.”
This ride hailing service from Goiânia, was launched in May 2020 with a commercial campaign featuring singer Naiara Azevedo and Humberto, from the singing duo Humberto and Ronaldo. There is no information in the media nor a website with more details of the service.
It has the categories: Rich friend, spacious friend, economic friend, lady friend (female drivers and passengers), pet friendly. They have a network of partners with discounts for drivers
“Freedom of choice and the ability to determine the most suitable travel means and protecting them from obligations and price manipulations.”
The passengers offer the trip price in this service. It’s possible to save more than 20% of the price for long distances. The passenger can choose the driver who accepted the request, based on the time it can arrive, the price offered and other additional information. The passenger may choose the driver with the highest rating, with a greater number of completed trips or with a better car brand. Additional travel options include minibuses for large companies, stops along the way and transporting children and infants in car seats.
“We take good care of the driver so he can take better care of the passenger”
This mobility operator was created in Brazil that already has 100 thousand active users and more than 40 thousand active drivers.
- The driver is well paid, works less, rests more.
- They charge the driver a lower rate (20%) than the competition and claims to pay them better. $100 reais bonus for referring other drivers who complete 100 trips.
- They focus on lower fares for passengers and no dynamic pricing.
- $2 million funds raised discounts for passengers and corporations.
- The only app in the market where the driver sees the photo and passenger’s full name, destination address and the payment method at the time of call, before accepting the trip request.
- Partnership with digital bank account PAN – 3-month exemption from driver fees.
“A technology company that ignites opportunity by setting the world in motion.”
- In São Paulo, it allows the user to schedule trips and presents the options: UberX, Comfort, Black, Together (suspended due to Covid-19), Bag, Black Bag and Promo.
- It also has an incorporation with public transportation that displays information about bus lines, subways and trains.
- It has an Uber Corporate option.
- Uber Taxi launched in São Paulo.
- Uber Flash category was recently launched for package couriers, the partnership began with grocery shopping and Uber Direct, service for companies to solicit partner drivers to deliver products to their customers.
- In addition to Uber Pass, 10% monthly subscription in UberX discount and free delivery on Eats and grocery shopping.
Cabify / Easy Taxi
“More security, higher quality and a city at your fingertips”
This is a Spanish company that entered the Brazilian market with ‘quality of service’ as its brand differential.
- Offers categories: Cabify, with private individual drivers; Taxi in full fare and discount mode, with values up to 25% lower; Comfort, and premium service; and CabifyCoorporate, for corporate trips.
- Its rates were the highest in the market until June 2019, when it made a fee reduction and implemented the surge price system to be able to compete with the other market players.
Cabify sells the customer the idea of greater security, applying a quality control of users and drivers. In driver’s assessment, it was the first to be transparent by removing the “risk zones” from trip routes. Cabify created a reward system for the best drivers evaluated by passengers:
- The award reflects the evaluation and the quantity of trips taken – the more runs, the more benefits.
- It includes trophy categories, gold, silver and special.
- Among the contemplated benefits are the reduction in the charged fees up to 15% and priority service at the call center services.
- Discounts on food, travel, movies, shows, products – partnerships with Casas Bahia, ComGás, Extra, Mapfre, Netshoes and Pontofrio.
The main benefit for drivers is the number of trips. Other advantages include:
- Payment every week – main negative point for drivers.
- Insurance on all trips.
- Partnership network with discounts on vehicle maintenances, accessories, tires, batteries, among others.
- Exclusive cell phone plans and discounts on the purchase of devices.
- Discounts on language, business, personal finance courses, and others.
Uber Pro is an advantage program that helps partner drivers who demonstrate excellence in achieving quotas. Benefits for drivers include:
- Priority in trips leaving the airport;
- Fixed fuel discount at Ipiranga gas stations.
- Special discounts at reputable universities;
- Smart Fit discounts;
- Estimated duration of your next trip;
- Preferential service in the app;
- Gold, Platinum and Diamond levels. Requirements vary according to the region.
Uelas – (Ufemale)
The program “Women behind the wheel”; seeks to increase the number of women as Uber drivers. Benefits for drivers includes:
- They allow drivers to choose only female passengers, at no additional charges, and can connect or disconnect throughout the day, based on the will of the professional.
- 10% discount on car rental by Localiza Hertz and, in the test cities of the program, the possibility to rent without a credit card.
- an educational platform that offers online and classroom courses on personal and economic empowerment.
Program in pilot phase in Oct 2019 in Campinas, Curitiba and Fortaleza. Expansion planned for 2020.
“We pursue the mission of positively impacting the population, making transportation cheaper, faster and safer for passengers and the most profitable and easier for drivers through technology.”
- Offers the categories: 99Pop, with private drivers in several cities; the 99Táxi, available throughout Brazil in full rates and discount mode, with values up to 30% lower; 99Top, a premium service with luxury taxis; and 99Match, option of shared mobility. And 99 Corporate, for corporate rides.
- Has the option of security camera with Emergency panic button with 24H support and evidence record.
- For the initial acquisition of drivers, the commission rate is lower than Uber.
- 99deliveries was launched and it allows personal items to be transported.
Benefits for drivers:
- The main differential of the 99 is that the driver earns money on the same day, being able ton make purchases or withdraw cash at ATMs 24h.
- 99 Clothing: extremely aggressive strategy, very criticized by drivers as it reduced by up to 30% the trip values. The main idea is that drivers in idle time in low demand, manage to perform trips.
- Security Camera: inhibits the action of criminals, has an Emergency panic Button with 24H support and records evidence.
- Protection against personal accidents: users are covered with personal accident insurance up to $100 thousand raised.
‘We’re 99’ is a rewards program and the result of the demands of drivers. In a research carried out by the platform, 16 thousand drivers answered about their main objectives and aspirations: family, education, health and professional recognition were the most frequent feedbacks. The rewards offered to drivers by 99 are:
- Exclusive benefits for drivers and immediate family members, in health, education, restaurants, and various services. Such as, training courses, access to appeal services for fines, service repairs.
- 5 benefit categories organized into four fronts: Partnerships, Trainings, Events and Exclusive advantages. Silver, Gold, Ruby and Diamond categories.
Biking in Goiânia
A trial organized by the State University of Goiás (UEG) using nine different means of transportation, pointed to biking as the main alternative in Goiânia. Besides being faster, it also won the race against two other requirements: cost and carbon emissions. For better data collection, all participants left the same point at the same time. The types of transport used in the experiment, taking into consideration all requirements, were; biking, running, walking, the motorbike, the bus, Transport by application, the car, Mototaxi (ride hail) and traditional Taxi.
The Municipality of Goiânia currently has 35.7 km of bicycles routes and another 8.1km in execution. That being said, biking isn’t perfect and has its own problems in Goiânia, such as traffic, narrow streets and car parking on sidewalks in many places.
Mobility Payment Solutions in brazil
In Brazil, the main barriers to the adoption of public transport and micro mobility are:
- Fare cost
- Convenience (correct information, close to home, no stops)
- Comfort (quality of cars)
- Convenient ways to shop
Source: Survey conducted by Moovit analyzed millions of travel requests made globally in 2019 + survey with users.
Offering smart means and payment improves the user experience, while improving the quality of travel data consequently allowing a better understanding of the user’s behavior.
Digital payments have been growing in Brazil and their use has increased with the Covid-19 pandemic. The Brazilian market has about 600 e-wallets. Survey conducted by the Intelligence sector for the tv network, Globo Market, released in June 2020, shows that 61% of smartphone users in the country use e-wallet. This, in a country with 45 million unbanked individuals that account for moving $800 billion per year, according to a survey conducted by Locomotiva Institute.
99 started operating a digital wallet in four Brazilian cities: 99Pay has been offered in Campinas (SP), Curitiba (PR), São José dos Campos (SP) and Uberlândia (MG). E-wallet will be gradually expanded to more cities over the next three months (Aug-Sep-Oct / 20).
It is possible to pay bills (water, gas and electricity); pay for couriers and food deliveries; and add credits on prepaid cell phones. There is also the option of cash back when adding credits. The service is available for partner drivers and passengers. E- wallet allows integration to PIX starting in October. The PIX is a system of the Central Bank of money transfers and instant payments that, when in operation, it will allow transactions 24 hours per day, including weekends and holidays.
In July 2020, under the impact of the Covid-19 crisis, Uber announced that it would freeze all financial services planning and focusing only on Uber and Uber Eats.
We highlight, the developing features:
- financial services organized in one place and integrated into the app: digital account, e-wallet payments, credit and debit cards, Uber Cash and Uber Pay.
- drivers and couriers would have access to their earnings in real time after each trip through the Uber debit account.
- cash back: in fuel debit (3% to 6% for drivers at the highest level of Uber Pro) and credit at 5% in Uber Cash – user adds money in the app and receive 5% cash back to use in the platform.
In Retail, major players (Ame, Mercado Pago, Magalu Pay) all offer e-wallets:
- cash back.
- pay bills, add credit to cell phones, money transfer to other accounts.
- personal loans.
Ame (Stores-Submarino, Americanas, Shoptime and Sou Barato) allows transportation voucher recharge, private transportation, Itaú bike rental plan, bus tickets, purchase and sale of air miles (beta version).
Is there another region you’d like to see us cover? We would love to hear your feedback and get your input for upcoming articles here.